Oops.
While traveling to Thailand this summer I'd made plans to visit Vietnam before my friend was involved in a horrific motorbike accident. Still, I'd gathered that you could get a visa on arrival (and my Lonely Planet guide mentioned nothing about not being able to get a visa on arrival), and hadn't sensed that there were any difficulties involved.
In any case, during my thirty-hour travel marathon I thought mainly about the ideas in the books I was reading, unable to grasp fully what it meant that I was about to start living in Vietnam simply due to uncertainty over what the city was like, what my job would be like, and who I'd meet here.
When I finally arrived in HCMC, I went to the "Landing Visa" line after being rebuffed by the passport checker-guy. When I explained that I wanted to purchase a Visa (in many more words), I was greeted with stares of astonishment that said "What are you, an idiot?". And yes, I realized, in this particular case I had been an idiot.
I was escorted by an "official" to the First Hotel to await an emergency visa the next day. The name "First Hotel" was a little confusing, since I thought it meant that I would go to the first hotel from the airport, but instead the First Hotel was a few miles away. In addition to paying an extra $75 for the emergency visa, I was also forced to cough up $125 for the worst four-star hotel I've ever been in. Not to mention being under house-arrest at the hotel for nearly 20 horus.
I'm unsure how the First Hotel has won so many "Top Ten Hotel in Vietnam" awards from some agency, but I think its related to the fact that the hotel is the only hotel you can stay in if you arrive in HCMC without a visa. I'm guessing that some political connections are involved, which is also probably related to why it costs so much to stay there despite glaring flaws in its amenities and service.
My room was nice and clean, and the first order of business was starting to download the first episode of the new season of "24", which had aired during my trip. I noticed a few oddities about the hotel while I was there, which my boss Tony informed me were characteristic of how Vietnam works. Essentially, he said, "In the rest of the world you're told what you're not allowed to do. In Vietnam you are told what you can do." There was no protocol for taking glasses from the bar to the room, so I simply wasn't allowed to do it.
At the airport, I was told that I was under strict orders not to leave the hotel until I had my Visa. That said, no one was actually watching me, if I left I'd just lose my passport. I wandered outside into the square the hotel was on, as one of the hotel staff told me that this would be fine. As I walked around right outside the hotel, the doorman kept an intent eye on me, and shouted "Not Taxi!", trying to ensure that I stayed in the area. I did, and returned the hotel where I ordered room service and succombed to my jet lag shortly thereafter.
The next day Tony arrived and we had lunch at the hotel, and during that time a travel agent brought my passport and visa. I was finally free, and ready to begin the bigger adventure of settling in and getting acquainted with the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment